Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pssh I dont need Seattle for Salsa!

One of the things I miss the most about Seattle is the food, right up there with family. I have cravings all the time for salsa from some of our favorite places but NOWHERE in Utah have I found that makes salsa like what is up there. So my dad, poncho, figured out how to make it and showed me last time he was here. He's known for his salsa and so he just tweaked it a bit to make it more 'eleasa friendly'. I like the saucy type, not the 'chunky' type. I gave it a shot this afternoon and here it is! Tastey, tastey!
I wish I could tell you how much I used of everything but I just eyeballed it and did it to taste. I like it spicy hot and without alot of onion. I did use 1 big can of tomato sauce, 1 med can of diced (and peeled) tomatoes, 1 med white onion, 1 bunch of cilantro, 1 lime, 1tsp vinegar, probably about 1 1/2 tsp of cheyenne pepper, salt to taste, black pepper, cumin, chilli powder (maybe 3 tbs?) and that was about it. I put the onion, cilantro and tomatoes in a mini food processor to chop it up and then just added it all together in a bowl. It made quite a bit but it will get eaten im sure of it. Oh ya and a little bit of garlic powder.
Now if I could re-create Ivars, Starbucks, Kidd Valley, Dick's and some others.... err... I've been craving Kidd Valley & Dick's lately... I'm about due!
Big thanks to my Pop's for helping me figure it out!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I made this once with Dad, but I didn't remember the ingredients. I don't know why I haven't tried this yet. Thanks for writing it down. I think I'll give it a try next time I'm craving Mexi. BTW, did you see my facebook "status" last week that I had lunch at Dick's? I thought for sure you'd be drooling over that one!