Saturday, December 4, 2010

Viva Las Vegas... again.

So we went to Vegas... again. Against our will this time. We didnt go to 'vacation' we went for the Army.

Every year Recruiting holds "ATC"; couldnt tell ya what it stands for maybe Army Training Conference? I dont know, and quite frankly I dont care. Long story short its at a new location every year, Vegas, San Diego, Ogden, Boise, wherever they chose. Last year was Ogden, this year Vegas. (We missed last year, that was the week we joined the 'family'). All of the recruiters from the 6th Brigade are required to go (Utah, California, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon, & Washington); and if you want to bring your families the Army pays for it ($175 anyways). This year things were uhm a little delayed and screwed up so there werent any seminars for spouses (or that I was aware of) so just training for the Soldiers (i.e.; death by power point).

So since it was on the weekend we had planned to skip town and head to Seattle it seemed pretty pointless to send Donavon alone and delay our trip more. So Issac and I tagged along.

We had to be in Vegas by noon on Friday. HELLO. 4am wake up? Freaking reveille hasnt even sounded yet! We were there by 11, because we're that awesome. Got checked in, scarffed some Panda Express and Donavon was off running to training. Oh did I mention that when we woke up Issac at 5am to hit the dusty trail he never fell asleep in the car? Awesome.

Needless to say it was a fun day for me. Issac napped in the hotel room while I laid there trying not to make a peep. Then once trainng was over, Donavon was required to go to the Salt Lake Company dinner. He got back late and I was going craaazy.




 Future recruit?

Next day, more training! He was gone all day. Issac and I hopped over to the mall across from the hotel. Snazzy mall; except for the brothers glarring at the white girl getting into her escalade. Sketchy. Then we went back to 'nap' however Issac threw a royal fit. Complete with bashing his head into the door. I'm sure everyone probably thought I was abusing him by his screams and the slams. Eh. No nap.

That night (Saturday) we had the ball. Oh the ball. Let me burst your bubbles ladies. This aint no cinderalla fairy tale lets go have fun ball. This is lets torture you with boring speakers and thousands of awards and serve you yuck food; for 4-5 hours.

Ok so the food was really good, thank goodness. $37 per person I was really hoping it wouldnt be denny's quality food like we've had in the past. We had filet mignon & lemon chicken w/ an alfredo pasta on the side. DEVINE. Ok so the meat was a little rare but it was good. Phew. (BTW, $20 for his Company dinner $74 for dinner and $35 for mandatory childcare while you attend the ball... $175 what? dont forget the other meals we had to eat at our expense)

Anyway, onward... the ball.... right... I dont know what the deal was that night but baby girl was not taking it easy on me. My tailbone KILLED. I literally was almost in tears every time I had to sit or stand up. 5 hours of torturous awards & toasting on a throbbing tailbone, yes please! Dont forget the size A cup strapless bra I was forced to wear under my dress, yeah those ladies arent a size A anymore.... My cups runneth over Vegas style. Va-va-voom! Oh and my shoes, they fit before we left, but my feet swelled. Barely got them on. I'll stop there - I will spare you the other wardrobe details in fear it would be a big TMI for some.


 (Go figure the Soldier with the fancy DSLR doesnt know how to take a picture)

We had to drop Issac off at a 'daycare' that was provided in another conference room. Yeah, no nap, he HATES strangers and being left so I was postive it was going to be nothing but pure Hell for those poor ladies. I missed him like crazy for those 5 hours. Come to find out, he was literally the best behaved one in the crowd. Only cried for a bit. Then at snack time he insisted he have his snacks from his bag, then about 45 minutes before we picked him up he grabbed his blankie and snuggled up on the floor by his diaper bag and went to sleep. Seeing his face and reaction when Donavon brought him to me after was the BEST feeling ever.


So ready to go back to our room. Wait. Soldiers + dining out + booze = a lot of drunk people.

Donavon's coworkers were a little sauced and needed a lift home. Donavon drove the government van with a car full and I packed the rest into my car w/ me and Issac so we didnt have to make 2 trips. Can I just say this was the highlight of the trip. Well other than the smell of ciggs and booze in my car. It was quite entertaining. Issac had Garfield on and they started the debate of who was better; Garfield or Garfunkel (but we're pretty sure they meant Heathcliff) and they were giggling over the stupidest things in the movie. I'm pretty sure Issac was like 'what the heck'. It was a tight squeeze, the car was full. I had a pretty good laugh over the backseat crew; I HAD to take a picture. I'm just incredibly thankful no one spewed in my car. One said they felt like it. I would have died. We were leaving the next morning for Seattle. 20 hours there and then 15 more home in a barffy smelling car?! Phew. Dodged a bullet. We were happy to oblige the Soldiers and get them back to their rooms safely.


Pretty sure they didnt have seat belts on, but who am I kidding I could have slammed on the breaks and those boys werent going anywhere!

Sunday we left bright and early for Seattle... Well Boise really but Seattle bound. Yuck. Donavon got a speeding ticket in Nevada too. Happy Thanksgiving from Nevada.

Sounds like we had fun huh? Oh and the weather was crappy, 50's and rain.

Oh and go ahead throw stones for my skank dress. YOU try and find a MATERNITY formal when you're broke! Of which you'll NEVER wear again. I already had this from 3 balls ago, wore it before Issac, post Issac and now w/ child. The perfect 'every ball' dress. Cheapest I found was in $200 range, online (never found anything in stores) and that didnt include shipping & the inevitable returns...

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Sorry your time in Vegas was kind of a bummer. :( But, can I just say you totally ROCKED that dress?! You don't need excuses. I say, wear what you want!