Friday, February 20, 2009

Spending Money to Save it

So here it is... $494.42 was spent LAST WEEKEND on one single trip to Salt Lake City for the weekend. That is more than half of Donavon's paycheck. I have known forever that this is why we still have credit card debt, why we have no savings, etc however it doesnt phase Donavon because he CANT stand staying at Dugway on the weekends. He said to me the other day 'I dont know how you can stay in this house all week and then not go into SLC on the weekends'. I was like its called keep busy! I have a child that needs constant attention, a house that is dirty (thanks in part to him, diesel, Issac and of course me too), endless piles of laudry I could do. There is PLENTY for me to do, so much in fact that I have yet to find time for a 'hobby'. He said he would be driving to Tooele or SLC almost every day, so thank goodness he isnt the stay at home parent or we'd REALLY be broke!

So here is the deal family... (well at least those in SLC area). We're not coming in as much. You are more than welcome to come out and visit us! (it's not a one way road). There isnt much to do but if we have notice I'll at least make sure the house is clean and we can see if the bowling alley is open or if any movies are playing in our ghetto theatre, or we can just plan some fun things to do at home... I cant afford to keep spending that kind of cash every weekend. We have bills to pay (even medical ones thanks to a snafu in the enrollment of Issac to our plan) and I am DETERMINED to get out of credit card debt!! We love coming in and seeing everyone all the time, and we will still come, just not as much. If I have it my way it will be once a month, or as needed for certain items, Dr. appts, etc. (which usually forces us to come in about every other week).

How am I going to get Donavon on board you ask? I am willing to let him take $100 every weekend we DONT go to Salt Lake and stash it for his Wii. He could have his Wii in about 3-4 weekends of not going to Salt Lake. I figure I'm still saving $394 that can go towards bills and He gets his Wii and hopefully that will shut him up for awhile.

So we will see what Donavon thinks of my proposal when he gets home from his Texas Hold'em tournament they are doing at Dugway. Grand Prize is $500 to walmart (which could buy a Wii, so if he wins I dunno what I'll do..... be happy since it gets that monkey off my back but then no idea what to intice him to save money....)

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Way to lay down the law sista! Maybe Donavon needs a "honey do" list to keep him occupied on the weekend.

Momma Strain said...

oh he HATES those lists! we've been cleaning all day and he keeps saying 'ok Elyse'. He's on board w/ the deal, $100 for every weekend we dont go to SLC or spend our wad. There are things we can do out here, especially since the weather is getting better. it was 53 today and we went on a walk, tomorrow night we are going to dinner w/ friends in Tooele. Just have to be more creative!

Anonymous said...

Those pictures of Issac are so cute. Okay I'm thinking maybe you turn him into a baby model and take care of some of your bills! Actually great plan. Jim and I have been doing stuff like that and it works. Maybe we'll come see you!