FINALLY!!! I got my new camera, and well with the new camera came the capabilities to upload all the pictures from our DC trip to the computer!
We went to DC on January 24th for a week. Donavon had to go for the Army Family Action Planning Conference, all on the military's dime. So I decided to escape from Dugway and pay my airfare and enjoy DC while he worked.
Our trip didnt start off on the right foot, nor did it end well either. Somehow half our luggage (Issac's two bags) were left in Denver. We had over an hour layover and our flight was over 40 min late leaving, so plenty of time to get on our next plane. It took two days for our luggage to finally get to us. In the mean time we spent Sunday at the shopping mall buying Issac new things to wear and walking 2 miles to the CVS to buy supplies. Just what we wanted to do on Donavon's little time to sight-see. We did manage to get in a trip to Arlington Cemetary that afternoon though.
I have to say I dont remember walking FOREVER UP A HILL to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. Maybe it was different this time because it was 10 degrees and windy? Ok maybe not 10, but probably 25-30. We FINALLY got to the top and Donavon pulled Issac out of his stroller to he wouldnt fuss and WAHHHHHHHHHH. Screaming at the top of his lungs!!! He wouldnt stop, he hurried and ran away with screaming child in tow and tried to get him to calm down. It wasnt happening, I did feel better though to see another family with a screaming child. We scratched that idea and started walking back down and guess who falls sound asleep.... what are the odds! By this time we dont have time to go back and its freezing to we left.
During the week Donavon had to be in attendance at the hotel where the conference was so on Monday I ventured out alone w/ Issac into DC. We went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History. He did pretty well, we had to leave exhibits a few times but no melt downs. The highlight of this trip, The Star Spangled Banner exhibit, they had a Flag that was on display that was 30ft x 34ft, and almost 200 years old! It was pretty cool, but no photography there. We met Kermit the Frog and Oscar the Grouch as well as saw Dorthy's Ruby Slippers. We also went through the War exhibits, they had everything from Civil War to our current war in Iraq. I have to say, the current stuff hits home a little more w/ me. They had a video that played about the sacrifices of people in the military and who have lost their lives, I'll admit I cried through the whole thing, but at least it was just me and Issac watching it. I also really liked looking at some of the dresses from the First Ladies'. Mrs. Lincoln was SKIIIINNNYY!!! Dang girl....
While I was out on my own with Issac; Donavon was back at the hotel meeting with some pretty important people. He was able to meet The Surgeon General, The Sergeant Major of the Army, The Secretary of Army, General Gates (the Presidents right-hand man, he only answers to the President) and some others. Those are the 'biggest and most important' ones. He was pretty excited about that.
On Tuesday and Wednesday I stayed in the hotel room. Tuesday it snowed and turned to ice, Wednesday it was REALLY foggy and was freezing rain. So we slept in and hung out at the hotel.
Thursday afternoon/evening we met up with Lon and his friend Barbie for dinner. Donavon met Lon through Tommy while he was living on the East Coast. From what I hear he is quite the organist, unfortunately I didnt get to hear him play. Lon has played for The Pope, and he was the last person to play in the LDS Tabernacle on Temple Square before it was closed down. I really enjoyed getting to know him and Barbie during our dinner, they are great people! It was too bad we didnt have more time to spend with them!
Friday Donavon finished up with his conference and Tommy & his friend Elizabeth came down from Virginia to see us for the day. By the time Donavon was done they were there and we took off and went up Chevy Chase to see Dan. Dan is another friend Donavon met through Tommy, he is quite the character! I must say, even though I had been warned of him, I still liked him! He kept me smiling, I'm pretty sure my face hurt by the time we dropped him back off. Tommy & Elizabeth dropped us back off at the hotel since they had to get going before traffic got nasty again. It was great to see them! Last time we saw Tommy was our wedding and the last time I saw Elizabeth was in Oct 2006 when I "ran away" with Donavon right after meeting him. (As I'm sure my mother is cringing and her blood pressure just went up w/ that reminder).
On Saturday we woke up early and went and had breakfast at the hotel then hurried on into DC to go to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. I dont understand why I didt go there last time?!?! This place was the COOLEST place I think I've ever been. Well, for a museum anyways. I got to see REAL DINOSAURS for the FIRST time! Not to mention all the other totally awesome things. I was going to go earlier in the week but Donavon wanted to go so I waited. They also have the Hope Diamond there, and alot of other BEAUTIFUL sparklies. I didnt want to leave the exhibit! None of the pictures really turned out because they are all behind thick glass and there are finger prints smeared across the glass. Annoying.
We tried to go to Ben's Chili Bowl for lunch, I keep seeing it on tv and Obama was there the other week for lunch so I thought well, lets giver a try. We got there and OH MY GOSH, the line was 10 miles long! There was no way we were going to make it in there with a stroller and then back to the hotel in time to hop a shuttle to the airport! Unfortunately we had to leave so we didnt get to eat there. Maybe next time.
The whole trip home we had to sit in the BACK row. Yeah the row that doesnt recline. And as a 'thank you' for sitting in the back row United Airlines stole our camera. Convieniently they dont replace camera equipment so we were out $500. I was at least smart enough to take out the memory cards and put them in my purse. So at least they didnt steal all of Issac's baby pictures.
So lesson learned from the whole trip, DONT FLY UNITED AIRLINES. They lose you bags and then steal your things!
No comments:
Post a Comment