Friday, December 2, 2011

Happy turkey day!

It was Donavon's side this year. You know the drill. Mona, in the ward house gym, 200 people. The most un-thanksgiving ever. Ok, maybe not. I'm just being dramatic. I grew up having Thanksgiving with my family, my cousins from my Mom's side (all 3 that lived in Seattle) and my Grandparents. Nice and intimate, and don't forget delicious. Well, everything but Grandpa's giblet gravy. Ewwww.

I'm learning to embrace the "ward" style Thanksgiving. That's exactly what it feels like, a ward party. I even have the recent Halloween party to compare it to ;) just like it. I've noticed over the years I'm learning to just go with the flow and it is what it is. But hey, I have to give them props for having real Turkeys (I never said it was warm...), REAL potatoes (Donavon's Aunt peeled and mashed 50lbs!!) and even though the gravy is *gasp* from a can, its pretty tasty. Don't forget Donavon's Mom's stuffing. I'm picky on stuffing and it was good! Also cant go without mentioning my niece's Snickers Salad! Mmmm mmm! After we eat they do a talent show, whether you consider it "talent" or not is your choice. Following that is the big auction. Each Thanksgiving they do an auction, whatever money is raised goes towards next summer's activity, whether it be camping for a few days, renting out a pool for the night, etc.

Now this Thanksgiving was a little bit somber. Donavon's Grandma recently passed in late August. It was the first time we'd all been together as a crowd since the funeral, and the first since some of has seen Grandpa since then as well. You could tell it was really hard on Donavon's Mom and her sisters, I'm sure brothers too but they hide it well. Now Donavon's Grandpa put this rose colored bowl up on the auction table. I saw him walk in with it and Donavon's mom and one of her sisters wanted to know what the heck he was doing with it. I knew it was going to get interesting.

That rose colored bowl went for almost $200. The girls were in a bidding war over it, they weren't letting that thing go! The auction is always a fun thing to see, and there are always some interesting items.

Since this was Katie's first Thanksgiving I knew she'd just love it. Issac was too little on his first Thanksgiving to be able to eat anything, but my girl Katie. She loves food. Especially mashed potatoes and gravy!


{Here she is, first Thanksgiving modeling off the shirt Mommy made for her! Yes, I MADE that.}




 {Typical finger in her mouth, gnawing away on it like its a piece of meat}



{Its a joke trying to get a good picture of TWO kids. One is always goofing off or not looking!}

{Having her appetizer of Gerber puffs, she had mashed potatoes & gravy, corn, stuffing, a roll, snickers salad and some apple pie!}

2 comments:

Joan said...

She is too cute, glad you got the new camera charger to catch these great pictures. I like you sweater too, you did a great job on Miss Katies.

Katrina said...

Your blog looks great! CUUUUUTE pictures of Katie. I so wish we lived closer so I could see her more often (and you too :)