Still here. Still alive. I thought I should at least let everyone know that.
Donavon left a week ago, and as strange as it may seem (or as harsh as I'm sure he'll think it is); life is easier in a lot of aspects when he's gone.
Now before he starts licking his wounds or you throw stones at me, I have to say my Mother AND Sister both agree. Two ladies who both know what its like to have husbands gone working ridiculously long hours or days on end.
This is the logic behind single parenting is easier. I say this with the disclaimer that I, myself find it easier if he is gone, out of the state, away. Not just working long hours (unless I've known ahead of schedule he wasnt going to be home until said time). Why is it easier? No expectations, no let downs. I'm on my own, NO help, suck it up girlfriend. Also I'm not saying that a real single parent has it easy. If I had to hold down a job, stress about childcare, insurance, custody etc, that would just cancel it all out.
When he's home; in State and coming home each night I expect assistance when he gets home. Giving him the benefit of the doubt he works some crazy hours and having had a job where I worked 12 hour days I know what its like to be utterly exhausted and just want to veg out. I get that. At the same time, hello exhausted, sick and pregnant wife is tired of chasing a 2 year old. Two different jobs, but equally exhuasting. I dont blame him for wanting to sit on his duff; however Issac doesnt get that. He LOVES his Daddy and I wish you could see him when Daddy comes home every day. Him (and Diesel) get so excited and we usually wait on the porch for him to come home. I think by the days end I need a break and Issac needs a change of scenery. On the days where he's really tired and unmotivated I'll admit I can get frustrated and upset, especially if it feels like we have a million things to get done and nothing is getting done.
So thats where the easy factor comes in. No expectations or let downs. Although I have to do everything on my own, I can sit back and relax and not be angry with someone because he was tired too. If something doesnt get done, it was my fault, no one elses.
Plus I dont have to cook {I can just hear Donavon saying 'its not like you cook anyway!'), less laundry, and one less person to pick up after. However I'm remembering the not having to cook thing kind of sucks; I'm already getting sick of cold cereal and sandwhiches.
Just remember, easier isnt always better. We miss him a lot. I for one miss the companionship & conversation. A person can really go crazy without adult interaction, and what better interaction than your best friend?
We've been trying to keep busy as to make the time go by faster. I enrolled Issac in a Kindermusik class that is every Thursday morning. We unforunately didnt have it last week as Miss Leda got the pukes from one of her piano kids. Bummer. I'm really praying that Issac acts a little better this week. Our first class he was in rare form; not listening (other than put the instruments away) and running amuck in studio. He even slugged a little girl as hard as he could in the gut. Thankfully she didnt cry, but I'm pretty sure her mom thinks my child is a bully. Which is funny, he's so shy and NOT.
On top of that I've had Issac evaluated for his speech through a non-profit organization called Kids On The Move who recieve Federal funding through the Early Intervention programs that each State has. I tried our inurance however the closest specialist was 250 miles away in Twin Falls, ID. Ya, no thanks. I was reccommened by some friends and family who have used the program to check it out. They come to YOUR house for therapy and all evaluations, you pay based on your income (totally ok with even paying more but whatever) and then once they hit 3 they help you transition into your school districts program. The great thing is they work hand-in-hand with our school district so if for some reason he needs help beyond this its a great transition.
For those that are around Issac you know he can just talk your ear off, but in babble. He says words, when he feels like it and it could be weeks or months between words. The only word I hear every day is Ma or Momma. By 2 they should have 50 words. He's probably at about 10-15; but only if he feels like it.
So through this program they will do some speech therapy and re-evaluate every 6 months to see if he still needs assistance. I'm excited to get started, not only will this help him, but its therapy for me as well. They dont just come and 'babysit' while I do my business. Its a hands on, parents involved therapy. They will actually teach me how to be the therapist. Which I think is awesome so that I can help all my future kids, whether they have a speech delay or not.
He's a smart kid, and they were really impressed, he just is stubborn and shy and wont talk much. Not for long!
Other than what I've mentioned not too much has gone on in our lives.
Donavon is bored as ever at school. His roommate is from the area so he is gone a lot. His living quarters are rather small. The internet is horrible and he cant even get it to work half the time, and he has no vehicle. They wouldnt let him take his car, which is stupid so he has to walk everywhere. To and from class, the chow hall, or anywhere else he might need to go. Luckily some of the other Soldiers have remembered him and offered to take him off base to places such as Walmart or to go eat. Before he has access to the chow hall he had I think 3 fast food options. Now that can get old real quick! One week down, 5 more to go! We sure miss him!
Oh, and Cletus the Fetus is doing just fine. I have my 16 week appointment next Tuesday. I'll be postponing the "big" ultrasound however. My Dr. said that at my appt. next week I could go ahead and schedule it that day for 2 weeks out, however I find it hard to go and get the big news; alone and no one by my side and I think Donavon would be secretly crushed missing out on seeing the little one. So, we'll be waiting until he gets home in November. My Dr. was also nice enough to say I can do two, one now and then one when he gets home and keep it a secret but I just cant. We'll wait. Morning sickness is over too, and I have been getting my energy back. No cravings really, and I've only gained 1/2 a pound to maybe a pound. No idea on names yet.
And.... no pictures. Sorry. I just realized though I need to post our pictures from the State Fair. I'll have to do that later.
1 comment:
it has been weeks since we looked at your blog..forgot our password..fun to catch up on the summer events and thanks for sharing your photos. Looking forward to our trip down next weekend, love mom
Post a Comment