Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Vacation Part 1 - Camping

So we finally got to squeeze in a 'vacation' this year that didnt entail shoveling dirt and laying sod.

We headed up to Washington to see my family for about a week, but the trip came in two parts. Part one being camping at Lake Roosevelt in Eastern Washington. I'll cover part two in another post.

We thought this year we'd hit Southern California or something to mix it up but when I found out my Dad's family was going on the trip I couldnt resist. The Fuller's are a riot and I love them to death. Its not very often that I get to see them either. I used to see them on Sunday's when we'd visit my Grandma Gwen but since I moved away and she passed I dont get to see them nearly enough as I'd like! Its just too bad more of them couldnt come!

Camping at Lake Roosevelt has become a tradition, and my family still to this day camps there several times each summer. I've got plenty of childhood memories from this campground, including learning how to ride a bike there and birthday parties with cousins & neighbors who came along for the trip.

This was Issac's first camping trip out of the womb. I think he enjoyed it and was very good about being safe.

We arrived Saturday afternoon and left Tuesday morning. The weather wasnt exactly great, but it was on Sunday. On Saturday when we arrived everyone was up the river having fun so we lounged around and watched the shoreline for them to come back. Unfortunately for them, they werent gone very long. We met a boat load at the boat launch and they yelled 'we need the medic!' - referring to Donavon. I totally thought they were joking but I saw someone laying on boat platform - my brother inlaw Keith. He dislocated his knee wake boarding, they had JUST gotten there too. Donavon did his medical analysis and concluded a dislocated knee and not a torn ACL, which was confirmed that night by a Coulee City Dr in the ER. Did I mention that on their way over to the campground their family car broke down and they had to go home and get their truck. Seriously, they've had the worst luck lately and its not even funny. His knee is healing and he's off crutches & no more brace.... but still hobbles, for now. Hopefully their luck takes a turn!

On Sunday since the weather was nice we took advantage of it! We took the boat up the river and found ourselves our own private beach, complete with a warm water lagoon (in which I forgot to take a picture of). The kids had fun playing on the beach, finding snakes, fish and roaming free. I'm pretty sure all the adults lounged around and ate all day, but there is nothing wrong with that! Frequent boat trips were made for the wakeboarders & the innertubers and those who were just plain hot.

The rest of the stay was poopy weather so boat time was pretty limited. The guys went fishing & shooting, the kids has plenty of fun playing together and us ladies had fun catching up and relaxing and reading out celebrity gossip magazines. We've all concluded Lady Gaga is weird, and not attractive.

I'd have to say that after dinner campfires were the best - and not just because Darin had one to many margaritas and kept spilling his milk in his lap. Conversations we the best, and my cousin Deanna's laugh was priceless; or as her daughters call it 'that thing'. I wish I could share it with all of you, although I'm sure she'd rather not! Nothing beats hanging out with the fam around the campfire laughing it up all night.

So here's the long line of photos from the trip! Well, this portion anyway!

{Jack, Makenzie & Tyler}


{Poor Issac was dying for a nap}

{Makenzie, Donavon & Owen}

{My sis Katrina, Mom & I - when my Mom & I got on the tube my Dad 'forgot' to put the prop down and SOAKED US prior to the ride, it was freeeezing}

{Issac taking the boat for a spin}

{No! I dont want help!}


{A doggie door? No clue, the tent had 2 of these and Issac didnt mind}

{Our private beach, the lagoon was behind us over the hill}

{snack time!}

{We wanted to take Issac on a tube ride but he fell asleep & then the weather was crappy. This was the best he got, sorry kiddo!}

{Boys will be boys, they found a dirt pit and played monter rally}

{post dinner sunset ride}

{cool dude}



The end.... for now.

2 comments:

Elyse said...

Looks like a blast... maybe one of these years Jim and I can head North. I would love to go camping there.

Meagan said...

This last pic is my fav! What a handsome boy you have. Looks like a really fun trip too...someday we need to go camping with you guys there!