I find myself saying this a lot lately to Issac. I don't know what the deal is, but he has been hurting himself a lot lately. I'll be the first to admit, it scares me because my inlaws were on a first name basis with the ER staff at their local hospital. The most was 3 visits in 1 day, with 3 different kids. Donavon's family is accident prone, and not little boo-boos, like breaking bones, slashing flesh. The rough ones.
At this rate Issac is going to lose his left eye. On Easter his cousin kicked him in the eye. The particular Saturday that this happened I said "Oh look your black eye is almost gone". I'll also add that while writing this I took a dinner break and right before dinner I was chasing Issac to give him a kiss and his left eye met the window ledge and it ended with tears in Mom's lap. The left eye doesn't stand a chance.
So this is how it happened. I bought Issac a new trike off Amazon. It was originally $99 and I got it for $20 + $6.99 shipping, talk about steal of a deal! This baby is solid steel, the real deal. The trike came on Thursday.
Unfortunately he is about an inch too short to push the pedals, so he usually sits on it.
Saturday we had one of Donavon's brothers come out, Robert and his wife Rachel. Along with their kids of course. Rachel had never been to our place and wanted to see it so we did a BBQ. After everyone had a bit to eat is when it all went down. Issac came in with blood gushing from his eye. Donavon scooped him up and immediately said we need to take him in. GREAT. Seriously? We aren't even done eating! We hurried and cleaned up, packed up the food and sent it home with Robert & Rachel and ran off to the ER. I'll admit on our way to the ER my heart sank, my sweet beautiful baby boy is going to have this big ugly mark on him now! He's no longer perfect. I'm over it now. It adds character, so they say.
His eyebrow was filleted open, no bandaid was going to fix that. Surprisingly he was very calm after the initial shock. It was rough keeping him awake in the car but Angry Birds did the trick. He was a brave little boy in the ER. The bracelet they put on his ankle sure pissed him off though! It finally came time for stitches.
I had to leave. I cant watch. Not so much the blood and flesh wide open, but seeing them wrap his arms behind his back in a pillow case then strap him to this "papoose" and see him scream in fear. I waited outside the room. It was torture listening to him scream "Mom!!" I made the mistake of looking in a few times. Once when they strapped him down and once during. I almost burst into tears. My poor baby! It was the longest 4 stitches ever. Lucky for me I had a Gold Cross Ambulance guy distract me asking about Katie. He then left and forever and a year later he passed back through and said "they are still working on him?!" Thanks bud.
It was a traumatizing evening that is for sure. Thanks to Uncle Robert we had root beer floats when we got home to help ease the pain and hopefully help us forget all about it... Well until its time for the stitches to come out in 5 days.
Enjoy the shots...
{On the way to the ER}
{Checking into the ER}
{Wiped out, no nap & fighting the nurse will do it. waiting for the numbing to kick in!}
{The after shot, happy with a root beer float}
The culprit...
{Should have left those safety goggles on dude...}
{Thumbs up! At least then... little did he know...}
Time to take the stitches out...
{This photo captures the moment perfectly. Dad is excited to do something medical again and Issac is thinking 'you're going to do WHAT?! I don't think so.'}
It only took about 5 hours to get all 4 stitches out. We even ended up using the pillow case technique to get them out. That was after Mom got slugged in the eye. Lets just say he isn't the biggest fan of anyone touching his face anymore. Sorry!
1 comment:
And you are probably right...it isn't gonna end anytime soon. I can relate. Not just my kids (yep the girls too although Davey so far has had the most stiches) but it seemed like everytime my parents headed out of town and left me in charge one (even as a 16 year old) of my little brothers ended up in the ER and I had to play mom...once I even had to take the dumb dog to the ER in in the middle of the night!
Post a Comment