Friday, November 16, 2012

Those arent Christmas bells

Those aren't Christmas bells you are hearing! They are WEDDING bells!

Holy smokes!
 
Hold onto your shorts for this announcement! Donavon's Dad is getting MARRIED.... TODAY!!
 
... and yes.. Yes she did just die. July 23rd to be exact.
 
So I get a lot of questions about this - well as many as you can get in 2 weeks time. Yup 2 weeks. They got engaged 2 weeks ago!
 
So here we go. We all knew that he had a strong desire to date after Brenda passed. We knew this before she passed actually. He's pretty young in the whole scheme of things. No one wanted him to be alone forever. He's in his early 60's. I wont date him too precisely. We all knew sooner or later it would happen, and we just went along with it when he started dating shortly after. If you had seen how sad and lonely and just down right depressed he was you would have welcomed it too. He needed to get out, meet some friends, have fun. Get his mind off things. I think he went on one or two "dates" and they were total flops. Then he met her and they've been together ever since. We met her 2 months after Brenda passed. I personally immediately felt she was the one, I held that back for awhile though. Even just browsing his online profile and looking at the faces of these ladies he was chatting with, I could tell immediately, nope they aren't the one. Is that weird?
 
I knew that it was inevitable, and I just prayed like no other that he'd find a woman who could accept us all, as crazy and dysfunctional as we were and that she would be a fabulous Grandmother and love his grand babies as her very own. Call me crazy but that first time we met her she did just that, and she even changed Katie's poopy butt! Hello bonus points!
 
She's warm and caring, very out going and lots of fun! She gets two thumbs up from me.
 
Last Sunday we got to meet 2 of her 6 kids. They came over to Donavon's Dad's for dinner. I will not lie I had that same nasty queasy gut feeling as we pulled into the neighborhood as I did a little over 6 years ago when Donavon was taking me to meet his parents. Haha! Flash back!
 
I was so incredibly relieved to meet them and see they were normal. As her daughter Amy said "my kind of normal". Yes! OUR kind of normal!
 
Issac was pretty excited for new cousins, and today while we were shopping he kept going on about new Aunt Amy - and saying how cool he gets 2 new aunts and uncles.... uhhh make that 12 buddy! Not to mention I don't even know how many more cousins! Fun time!!! Especially since Issac has a new cousin Adam who is a few months older than him and Katie has a new cousin Courtney that is exactly 1 week older than her. Those girls were instant besties and had a great time together.
 
So tonight should be fun! I'm staying positive, and people keep asking if its weird. Yeah it is, but you know what, it is what it is and he's happy and I'm happy he found someone who fits us and isn't some psycho your worst nightmare of a step mom or mother inlaw. She'll never replace Brenda, no one is trying to replace her, but shoot, this family still needs a woman to keep that old man in line and a grandma to love on the babies. Us "kids" could probably survive, but we welcome her with open arms and are happy to see what lies ahead for us all!
 
So welcome to the family Ruth! {And her 6 kids and their spouses and all their kids too!} and Congrats to the happy couple!
 
Pictures to come....

No comments: