Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Army's 233rd Birthday!

Today was the Army's 233rd Birthday and there was a luncheon held at our Community Club. I left work and went to enjoy the festivities and support my husband. I must say he is awfully handsome in his uniform! It was actually quite nice for the most part and I've decided being a military wife is like a living in a US History class. I've learned so much from this short time that we've been married. From random facts Donavon will tell me, helping him study for promotions, attending events such as this, etc.

However, I must say this one thing... who had the bright idea to sit 2 pregnant women, 1 who just gave birth and 1 emotional woman at the same table!! While our husbands got up to present the colors they continuted w/ the program and it kinda can get emotional when they talk about the sacrifice that soldiers and families make for freedom and the lives that have been lost - ESPECIALLY when you are already hormonal! Someone should have warned our table because 2 of the were bawling and I was trying not to get choked up.

On a happier note, kinda.... I even learned something! There was a table upfront that was set for 1 (POW/MIA Remembrance table), with a white table cloth, a red rose with a red ribbon on the vase, a bread plate w/ a lemon and salt, an inverted drinking glass, and an empty chair. Donavon brought in the helmut and sat it on the chair as they explained what it all represented.

Table set for one - symbolizes the frailty of one prisoner alone against his oppressors

White tablecloth - symbolizes the purity of their intentions to respond to their country's call of arms

Single rose - reminds us of families and loved ones who kept faith awaiting their return

Red ribbon on the vase - reminiscent of the red ribbon worn upon the lapel and breasts of thousands who bear witness to their unyeilding determination to demand a proper accountng f our missing

A slice of lemon on the bread plate- reminding us of the bitter fate

Salt on the bread plate - symbolic of the families tears as they wait

Inverted glass - they cannot toast w/ us today

Empty Chair - they are not here today

I also learned more about what each fold of the flag means but I wont go on - I thought I'd share at least that little bit. EVERYTHING in the military is symbolic, and its quite interesting to learn about it. To be honest, it makes me appreciate history a lot more than I did back in the day.

No comments: