Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mommy thoughts

Here are some of my thoughts during the first week of being a Mommy for the first time...

1. Wow, I gave birth...
2. How the heck did he fit in there?
3. I'm surprised at how well I'm surviving lack of sleep, middle of the night (painful) feedings, endless diapers and leaky ones at that!
4. Amazed that I fit into my pre-prego jeans on Tuesday, of course I had my bellaband on and them unzipped but hey, they were on! And as of today I hardly have a pooch and have already lost 19lbs, leaving me 21 left to go. I'd say I look pretty dang good for just having had a child 1 week ago. A real self esteem booster.
5. Why do these stupid diapers keep leaking?!?! We've been using the Huggies newborn diapers and every time he pee's and is laying down it leaks out the back! We've had two accidents on the sofa and who knows how many at night in bed. LAUNDRY LAUNDRY LAUNDRY. The poor kid is out of clothes and not that he had that many to begin with!Any diaper suggestions would be great!
6. I am amazed at a mothers love. I've done years of baby sitting but it really ISNT the same until its YOUR child. Its totally different, I dont mind the diapers, the crying, the fussing, all that comes along with a baby. I LOVE HIM! Not that I never loved others that I baby sat but its totally different when its your own child. Like my Aunt Jane said one day, its totally gross when you get poo on you and its not your kid but when you get poo under your finger nails and its your own kid, it doesnt bother you.
7. I always knew Donavon would be a good Daddy, and he is (even though he thinks its ok to leave me at home after 1 week post partum to go hunting on his paternity leave). I think its cute when I hear him downstairs singing to Issac; and not just nursery rhymes, he makes songs up and even throws in a little Brad Paisley :) He's been a big help to me.
8. Poor Diesel thinks we hate him, I feel bad.
9. Is it bad that I sleep in until 9 or 10 then after a feeding I shower then feed again, then we take a nap until like 2 when the next feeding is drawing near? He gets up every 2-3 hours to feed, and half way between that nap session he wakes up screaming covered in pee or poopy pants. So its not even like I sleep for 2-3 hours continuous. :(
10. What am I to do when my drugs run out?! Ive been trying not to use them and I think I'm pretty good about not using them but I still need them at times. I think I'm down to 1 percoset a day from like the 8 I was taking a day in the hospital (I'm sure it wasnt 8 but it was a lot more).
11. Wow.... I'm a Mommy now...
12. I cant tell you how much I love that litle guy! He's such a blessing and I just want to squeeze him! I've always loved babies but I LOOOOOVE this one. Donavon and I find ourselves fighting over him. "Baby hog"
Here are some pictures of him from last night - Mommy & Issac fell asleep while Daddy was out playing volleyball, hey 6pm is never too early to go to bed!

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Love this blog. Love the picture with his eyes wide open. O.K., so we use to have the same problem with Huggies. I hated them for my babies, they always leaked. I used Pampers and had no problem. I use Huggies now that they're older and not drinking so much/peeing so much, but until they're about a year old, go with Pampers!

Meagan said...

Ditto what Katrina said about diapers. Pampers Swaddlers are BY FAR the best newborn diapers and don't leak at all (except for MAJOR MAJOR blowouts!)....and for bigger babies the Huggies or Kirkland brand (from Costco) are great. Love the big yawn from Issac and his eyes wide open...so dang cute!! The best tip someone gave me when Alec was born was to sleep any time he slept and trust me, I did! And, it helped a ton. I need my sleep and the 2-3 hours at a time was tough. So, keep up on those naps...and keep on posting pics...

Danielle said...

AHHH!!! He is SOOOO cute!!! Love the pictures. You are really lucky...a lot of newborns look like little aliens, but he is sooo beautiful!!

Diapers - I never did the newborn diapers, but when McCall was a bit older (2 mos), and would leak, it was because:
a) the diapers weren't on tight enough. Don't worry, it won't hurt their little bellies to have the diaper on nice and snug
b) the diapers were a size too small. Since every size upgrade means that the diapers will be LONGER, this means more coverage on the back, ie. less leaks out the back. Of course, if he's swimming in the next size up, then that obviously won't work.

I've heard good things about the Pampers Swaddlers too.

He is so cute!!!

Alia Calano said...

BEAUTIFUL BABY! kinda makes me want one.....okay the feelings gone! Im so proud of you that you are a mommy! I dont doubt that you are just perfect! Keep updating your blog i love the cute baby pics! oh and CONGRATS!