Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our Little Man has arrived!!

We are proud to announce that our Little Man, Issac Donavon has arrived! He was born on September 4th at 12:06AM weighing in at 6lbs, 15oz and 21 inches long - with a full head of hair!

Wednesday morning Eleasa woke up to her water breaking around 6:15AM. She laid in bed wondering if it was her water that broke or what the heck was going on. Donavon got home from PT around 7am and at that point she got out of bed to check things out. Donavon insisted she call the doctor but she wasnt cramping or having contractions and nothing else was going on so she didnt think it was necessary. Finally she gave in and paged the doctor and he said 'get to the hospital'. Oh all right.... But first let me get ready. Eleasa hopped into the shower, shaved her legs, took her time. Got out, put on her make up, did her hair; packed up a few things for the trip... and yes.... checked her email. Donavon, along with Eleasa's parents who came down to Utah for the week were a little more frantic about getting out the door and to the hospital. Eleasa on the other hand, not so much. I mean, its not like he was going to drop out and I hadnt even started having any pain or contractions.

We headed out to the hospital and arrived around 10:30am or 11ish. Apparently the doctor kept calling there looking for me too. They admited me and hooked me up to all the gadgets and called the doctor. I was between 3-4cm dialated and 100% effaced and at a -2 Station. My contractions started right when we arrived (good timing) but they werent regular at all. The doctor order some pitocin to get the regular and after about 45 min I was making my hand print in the plastic hand rail of the bed. Ohhh how lovely drugs are. They told me when I got there I could have an epidural whenever I wanted. Once the epidural was given I was peachy! I never felt another contraction until around 10pm!

As the day went by Eleasa pretty much slept through it and poor Donavon watched tv and played with his PSP golf game and Sodoku on his cell phone as his wife snored her way through labor.

FINALLY time to push!! I think that was around 9pm? I have no idea. I pushed for about 30 min and he got stuck on my pelvic bone and didnt budge. After he was far enough down they realized he was face up not face down; so they brought in the on call doctor and they turned him, and then he went back up and I got to push him back down all over again (fortunately only about 3 pushes). We kept trying to get him past the pelvic bone but after the shift change of nurses the next one realized he wasnt going anywhere and had the Doctor come over. Dr. Langeland got there, and got out the good ol forceps - 3 pushes & his head was out, 1 more and he was out for good!!

Im sure he could have come earlier but the doctor was tied up and the nurses seemed to think I could push him past all alone. Oh well, we were happy that he arrived!

6lbs 15oz, 21 inches long - with a full head of hair! Absolutely adorable!

We didnt get over to the maternity ward until about 130-2am I think. It took the doctor awhile to uhmm.... 'stitch things back together' (3rd degree if you were wondering). They gave me a few snacks and some juice (over 30 hours without food!). By the time we got into our room though Donavon & I were trying not to fall asleep but of course the parade of doctors and nurses come in to check everything out. I did not get any sleep that night, nothing more than 45 min at a time.

So here we are, 5 days old and things are going pretty good. No major problems that cant be fixed or that wont go away. He pee-pee'd in his ear the first night and so he kept failing his hearing tests, and he's kinda yellow so we had to take him back to the hospital today to test both of those. Hearing is good now, and he will get checked again tomorrow for his jaundice since it stayed the same. Nursing is another story.... I think I'd rather do the labor all over again (epidural included) than nurse sometimes. We're working on it though and it seems to be improving. Lets just say I have an overly eager eater with a strong jaw who isnt patient at all and I'm not meeting his quota fast enough!!

Here are some pictures for you to enjoy of our Little Man!!!


2 comments:

Meagan said...

Yeah!! You are such a trooper Eleasa...oh man, the dreaded forceps...glad you toughed through it. Issac is adorable...such a cute baby! Hang in there with the breastfeeding...it gets better, I promise. :)

Katrina said...

Thank goodness for epidurals. Can you imagine going through all those hours of labor without it? That's how they used to do it in the old days...no wonder so many women/babies died in childbirth. He is cute, and I think he looks more like you than Donavon. BTW, I am probably buying my airline ticket today. Can't wait to hold him!