Last night marked our SECOND date since Issac has been born, the first was for our 2 year anniversary back in July. I dont count going to Walmart late at night while someone listens to the baby monitor for us as a 'date'.
My Aunt Gloria had asked my Mom to put in for the lotto drawing for the Mormon Tabernacle's Annual Christmas Concert w/ this years guests being Natalie Cole & David McCullough. Oddly enough, both my Mom & Aunt got tickets. You'd think that having lived in Utah I'd attend things at the big ol Conference Center more often but I dont. I've still never been to General Conference. The only thing I've done there besides this Concert was a women's broadcast, and tours. So why not? Plus its not like Donaovn is going to take me to the ballet anytime soon. I enjoy doing things that are more 'classy' once and awhile, rather than just the movies. Suppose its the girl in me.
I got ready quite frantically because Issac decided once again for the second day in a row that he didnt need an afternoon nap, and some of my warm clothes where still packed away. I left Issac w/ his Grandpa for the night (almost forgetting Donavon's nice clothes). Picked Donavon up at work, making sure I arrived a little early so that my pressence at his desk didnt go unnoticed by his Station Commander. We left from there, grabbed a bite to eat downtown and headed over to the Conference Center.
It took us over 30 minutes to drive TWO blocks. Traffic was NUTS on a crumb cake. I think just about every venue downtown had something going on. Temple Square, the Jazz were playing, another big play started, the Motab concert. Parking.... what parking? We parked 10 miles away and walked in the sub-zero temperatures. Or should I say ice skated? I just about ate it a few times, thus making Donavon just about eat with me. Boy was I glad I cut off all circulation to my legs and wore my 'hooker boots'. Muffin top just isnt for your waist line ladies. I've got muffin top on my legs! There was so much slush and snow we had to walk through. Bleh.
We got there and got our seats, plus two more for my cousin Melissa & her friend. They were actually great seats! We were up on the terrace, just a little off from the middle! Better than sitting on the floor in the corner getting a view of a giant Christmas ornament and watching it all on a tv!
The Motab sounded great! Natalie Cole.... uhm not so much. Well ok, I'll take that back, she sounded good too. Just not together. She has a distinctive sound and they just dont compliment each other very well. I liked when they sang seperate from each other, not together. I wasnt the only one who thought this either, I think all 4 of us felt the same way. She kind of sounded like a dying cat alongside the Choir in the very last song.
Dont get me wrong though, I enjoyed every minute of it. My favorite was O Holy Night, by far the best Christmas song ever. (Josh Groban's is amazing BTW). I loved the stars they had during the song. They had fiber-optic lights hanging fromt he ceiling, which you couldnt see, until they lit them up and it literally looked like you were in the stars. A close second was the Organ Solo. Wowza! Ah-may-zing! Man could that guy play the organ! Looked like he was doing the jig while he played! Awesome, but it would have been even more awesome had they cranked it up a little.... Then my third favorite was probably the Celebration of Carols from Around the World, specifically Jamaica. They featured Spain, Jamaica, Ireland, Russia & Germany. Jamaica was the best and most fun.
So in the end, we had a great evening. I think. Donavon was getting overheated in his uniform and we were both dying of thirst the whole time. No concessions there. I dared him to stand up and say 'Peanuts! get your peanuts! popcorn! hot dogs! get your hot dogs!' and he replied that he should stand up and say 'beer, get your beer! $5!'. Then when my legs went numb he told me just to take off my shoes and socks and put them up on the guys shoulders and tell him 'you can rub them if you like' and then ask him for popcorn. Oh the humor in my boy. I love him.
I've got to say, the concert left me missing our friends on the East Coast. It was just about a year ago that we went to DC for the AFAP (Army Family Action Planning) Conference and got to see some friends. Tommy came down and met us, and one evening we met up with Lon (who I hear is one of the best Organists around, he's even played at the Tabernacle on Temple Square). However we didnt get a chance to hear him play while we were there. Bummer. Maybe next time. Maybe a trip in the spring??? or Summer? We need to get back there soon again. Even though Donavon 'worked' that trip, it was still a great one!
Moral of the night...... we HAVE to go on more dates! It was hard at Dugway since there is NOTHING to do, and if we went into town we'd just stay the weekend, but Issac didnt much appreciate not having a defined space, or the noise levels so he never really slept well when we were here so we never left him here alone w/ a sitter. Now that its 'home' its easier, and we just need to do it!
Huge thanks to Gloria for getting my mom to get the tickets in the first place, and also to Grandpa Strain for watching Issac all night. Issac was a champ and never made a fuss and even got to play with his cousins that came by for a visit! Also to Rachel my sister inlaw who I hear did the after dinner scrubbing and diaper changing and getting ready for bed part.
Here is the only picture I have of the night. If it comes out on DVD, get it. Although it wont do it any justice. Oh and I forgot.... they had a freaking 100 ft Christmas tree come up through the stage. Ok maybe not 100ft, but that sucker was HUGE. Kinda made me nervouse because it was swaying so much as they brought it up at the end. Crazy....
No comments:
Post a Comment